Lets Make Something banner

Home

Home

Youtube graphic
I have a youtube channel with over 800 Project Videos!




Will
Hi, Thanks for visiting my website. My name is Will and if you have questions
or would like to
contribute projects or ideas you can contact me Will



2 gallon batch - Blackberry Christmas Mead

6 lbs Sue Bee Clover Honey
2 boxes raisins (the small ones, obviously!)
Water balance to 2 gallons
1 tsp plain old bread yeast

Combine the above ingredients and leave for about a month.
Once the primary ferment is done, rack the lot onto:

3 lbs Oregon Blackberry (or any other flavor, for that matter! ) Puree

Notes:

I was planning this for Christmas though I think this'll get better over time. I'm praying that it doesn't turn into Robitussin!!

This also marks the first time I've used fruit puree.

I had about 500ml plain mead leftover from the primary. Just basically honey-water with a kick to it (what do you expect, there's nothing in it!) :)



Blueberry Melomel (this one's a 1-gallon test batch)


My "Regular" blueberry mel is a crowd pleaser. People who I've given it to love it and have even asked for refills! A friend I gave it to even told me he's not sharing!! Trouble is, that batch took about FOUR MONTHS from start to bottle. I thought I'd try making a "quick drink" mel for the impatient ones.

Planning to bottle this next month sometime for Christmas.

Who knows, this might become a 2-gallon batch next year sometime!

PRIMARY

2 lbs Sue Bee OB Honey
1 lb Sue Bee Buckwheat Honey (marketed as Aunt Sue's Raw Unprocessed Honey in the Philippines)
1 cinnamon stick
1 whole clove

Water balance to 1 gallon

1/2 tsp Yeast Energizer *
1 tsp Fermax *

Lalvin EC-1118 Yeast

SECONDARY

Racked the lot onto a pound of thawed blueberries, which I mashed slightly to release the juice.

Process Notes:

* You can replace the Energizer and Fermax with about 25 raisins if you don't have any commercial nutrient.
* I didn't bother doing a starter for the yeast in this case, just pitched it straight into the jug.
* Left this one for 2 weeks while I went off on a business trip (no, not mead related!). Came back and the ferment was done.
* I threw in the cinnamon stick and clove at a whim. It actually turned out quite well.
* It was surprisingly very drinkable straight out of primary. Something I wasn't expecting from a powerhouse EC-1118 yeast. I think it was because I pulled it out after 2 weeks. If I had left it longer, it could have been jet fuel...

** I might revisit my 2-gallon apple cyser. Only this time I'll add them apples in secondary instead of feeding them to the yeasties... I'll probably chop up the apples before I dump them in.